Troops are in sambisa forest – DHQ

Chibok-school-girls
In an effort to retrieve the abducted Chibok girls, the over 200 girls believed to be in captivity at sambisa forest. They were abducted from their hostel in Chibok, Borno State, on April 15. The government has been under pressure to bring them back.

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) said yesterday that troops were
in Sambisa forest, which was, however, silent on the next line of
action, even as it stressed that only the military has a “major plan”
in the offing.

It said that contrary to insinuations, Nigerian soldiers are trained
for counter-terrorism.

The Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade
stated this at a session with editors and Defence correspondents,
which was organised by INigerian Initiative, a non-governmental
organisation active in the redefinition of Nigerians’ perception of
their country.

He said: “What makes it difficult to get to Sambisa forest? All of it
is strategic, gentlemen. We are not even completely out of
Sambisa forest as I am talking to you. We are in Sambisa forest
and we are in places contiguous to it.

“But we have a major plan in mind, which I should not be
disclosing now. We are not weak; we have the capacity.”

“Sambisa Forest is over 6,000 square kilometres. It is not true that
the place was re-taken by Boko Haram. There is freedom of
movement in Nigeria and so, people move about freely. Do you
know that there are village settlements and communities in the
Sambisa forest and that is another limitation to bombing?”
Concerning foreign interventions to rescue the Chibok girls, Gen.
Olukolade simply said: “On a diplomatic level, I will say all is
well.”

He said Boko Haram had been attacking some towns and villages
because the sect was carrying out its “last battle” in desperation.

He went on: “The truth about recent attacks by Boko Haram is that
all the places that they thought were their bases have been taken
over by the military and so out of desperation, they are scattering
everywhere. What they are doing is like a last battle for them.

READ ALSO:  Nigeria Air force jet with two pilots declared missing

“There had been occasions when the terrorists were reported to be
using helicopters in their attacks whereas it was the Nigerian
military helicopter that was flying to attack the rebels.

“Nonetheless, we are still committed to securing the civilian
population at whatever cost. We are still committed in ensuring
that we degrade their ability to continue their activity and
eventually eliminate them”,

He said Boko Haram was joking by laying claim to any part of the
country, adding that the military would soon sweep off the
insurgents in any part of the country, including Gwoza.

Gen. Olukolade said: “I will reaffirm what I said that no portion of
this country is available for terrorists to occupy. If they appear to
be doing so, it is just a joke. With respect to this location,
everything is being done to ensure that everywhere in Nigeria is
safe and secure. “

“The goal of Nigerian military and security forces at the moment is
to deny the terrorists the resources they need to continue to hold
our citizens to ransom. We want to defeat them so decisively that
every Nigerian can live in peace and be able to pursue his
economic and social activities.

“We want to counter terrorism to the point that their coordination
and their ability, their future effort to destabilise and cause
instability in our country will be negligible or non-existent. We
also want to ensure that haven the military will continue to
contribute to the development and progress of our country’s
democratic state.”

The DHQ spokesperson debunked the notion that Nigerian military
was not trained to embark on counter-insurgency.
He added: “I do not agree that we are not trained for this period.
Even before the advent of terrorism, our training doctrine has
factored in counter terrorism right from the beginning. It’s only
that the intensity may differ but everybody has knowledge of
counter terrorism operations. It’s just that it’s only now that we
are practising it in reality.”

READ ALSO:  3 killed, Female suicide bombers bomb Kano

On the alleged extra-judicial killings by troops, Gen. Olukolade
explained that a probe panel had invited Amnesty International
officials to substantiate their claim.

He added: “The probe of the Amnesty International’s video clips is
ongoing. The team that we mentioned is already going round,
calling on people who can assist them. They have even invited
officials of AI to help them verify what they presented.

“I was with the team two days ago and I know that they are
working frantically to produce their report and they are not leaving
anything untouched.

“We just hope that those who made the allegations will also have
the level of respect for that body (investigation panel) to tell them
what they know.
He denied allegations of corruption and human rights abuses
against the military.

The general said: “Those series of allegations of corruption are
unfounded; the series of allegations of cowardice are rather
demoralising and other forms of insinuations in various forms only
tend to give the impression the Nigerian armed forces is not
capable of managing the situation.

“Unfortunately, this has remained the source for the international
community that held us in very high esteem to begin to have a
rethink. But the Nigerian armed forces has not been sleeping; we
have been available in putting our expertise at the service of other
nations. We have more of this in which we can put into the
disposal of our country at a time like this and all we would need
are encouragement of our fellow countrymen and their
understanding.

READ ALSO:  FC BARCELONA WINS UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

“We can only assure them that we mean well. The officers that are
put in charge of these men are trained to be leaders. We should let
them do the job in times like this. The integrity of everybody is at
stake, and the time has come when we should rather reduce the
level of accusations that are meant to demoralise and
discourage.”

The DHQ spokesman also said the military has a lot of information
on the Zaria incident in which three sons of a Shiite leader, Ibrahim
El-Zakzaky, were killed.

He said: “For the cleric, if you study our posture, we do not want
to engage him. We have a lot of information as well but they must
be verified. They are too sensitive for public attention at the
moment.

“This issue should not be handled carelessly and that informs all
the restraint in responding to some of what is being said. But that
is not to say the authorities are ignoring it. Not at all.”

Earlier in her remarks, the National Coordinator of Inigerian
Initiative, Ms Ada Stella Apiafi, urged security agencies and the
media to be partners in national development and be seen as
working towards the same goal.

She said: “We should be wary of individuals and groups that may
have their own selfish agenda and want to scuttle our national
development by devastating selfish interest.”