Five dies after eating dog meat in Cross River


NOT less than FIVE  persons have met untimely death due to eating dog meat. The victims involves a man and two of his children and two others were confirmed dead on Friday  in the village of Uchenyim , Wanikade, North Ukelle in northern Cross River State.

What could have happened?
Reports from the area said the dog was fond of eating the eggs laid by native chicken in the Odareko-Uchenyim village and one of the villagers allegedly laced the eggs laid by his chicken with gamalin 20 insecticide  and as expected, “the dog ate the eggs and fell ill and when it was about to die the owner quickly killed and prepared it into a delicacy which he, his family consumed and some neigbours consumed ” Ugbem Onawo, a villager narrated .

READ ALSO:  Sailors in Romance with Ladies this Ember.

According to the report, the victims also ate the intestines of the dog where incidentally the poison from the gamalin 20 is lodged leading to their taking ill and dying .

“After the man shared the intestines among his children and the two neighbours and they ate death came calling and they all died though at different times ”.

READ ALSO:  Academic staff union of polytechnics calls off 10 month old strike.

source said Onawo said they were rushed to the local health centre for medical attention  but were confirmed dead on arrival at the health centre. “A feeling of grieve has descended on the entire village and people are deeply saddened by what took place as such a tragedy has not befallen them before”

All the dead have been buried in accordance within the tradition of the Ukelle people.