Boko Haram takes over military camps in Yobe

boko-haram-3
RESIDENTS of Gujba local government area, yesterday said Some military camps in Buni Yadi, Buni Gari and Goniri in Yobe State have been seized by Boko Haram insurgents.

The bombing of the Katarko Bridge by the insurgents has cut off
vehicular and human movement between Buni Yadi and Damaturu, the state capital.
It was gathered that residents who defy the odds to travel in the
area break their journeys at Katarko and cross the River Katarko to
join a vehicle to Buni Yadi or Buni Gari.

Adamu Saleh(not real name), who rode on a bicycle to Damaturu,
said Boko Haram insurgents move freely in the area, brandishing
their weapons.
He said the insurgents occupied locations that were previously
manned by the military.

READ ALSO:  Boko Haram releases new video; destroys Maiduguri - damaturu bridge.

“I am just coming from Buni Yadi. I came with my bicycle all the
way to this place. I did not use any bush path. I followed the main
road.
“We are facing a very terrible situation. There is no single security
in our area. The same in Buni Gari and Goniri. In fact, the boys (
yaara, in Hausa, referring to Boko Haram) have taken over the
military camps,” the man said.

A top security source who does not want to be named because he
is not allowed to talk to the media, said: “It is not a secret any
longer that our forces are no longer in Buni Yadi, Buni Gari and
Goniri. We only have our troops at Katarko.”

READ ALSO:  Court indicts T.B. Joshua 's church over collapsed building

Katarko is 22km from Damaturu and 34km from Buni Yadi.
Residents of Gujba and Gulani have called on the Yobe State
Government to rebuild the bridge.

It was gathered that officials of the Ministry of Works, who
assessed the bridge, narrowly escaped death in the hands of the
insurgents who opened fire on them.

In neighbouring Northern Cameroon, attacks carried out by
suspected Boko Haram members on Wednesday killed 20 people,
including 10 traders in Zigague village, an army officer told
Chinese News Agency Xinhua yesterday.
Colonel Didier Badjeck, head of Communication at the Defence
Ministry, said the attackers had a cross fire with the Cameroon
forces.

READ ALSO:  #RescueOurGirlsNow: 2 Years Since The Chibok Girls Have Been Held Captive

“The attackers have been forced back. On their way of retreat, they
attacked a bus, killing 10 people in the bus, including one soldier
from Cameroon’s Rapid Intervention Batallion,” Badjeck said,
adding that the attackers raided the bus for revenge.
Last month, hundreds of heavily armed men invaded the same
region, killing 15 people.