Abducted chibok girls parents refuse to meet President Jonathan

abducted chibok girls parents refuse to meet president Jonathan
As part of promises President Jonathan made when Malala Yousafzai visited him at Aso Rock, a meeting which was to hold between Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan and the family members of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram Takfiri militants has been canceled.

Jonathan was due to meet some parents of the victims, as well as several girls who escaped captivity hours after the attack in the remote town of Chibok in the northeast in April.

However, they called off the meeting at the last minute on Tuesday.

READ ALSO:  Prof Jega Speaks On His Regret As INEC Chairman

After the cancelation, a statement from the president’s office accused the activists, who kicked off the Bring Back Our Girls campaign, of using the plight of the hostages “to play politics.”

“Despite the shameful and disgusting games being played by the Nigerian chapter of Bring Back Our Girls, as a father of girls, I stand ready to meet with the parents of our abducted children,” Jonathan said.

Meanwhile, campaign leader Hadiza Bala Usman said that activists had asked to reschedule the meeting so that more parents could attend.

READ ALSO:  #BringBackOurGirls: FG is closer to rescuing chibok girls - Omeri

At least 219 of the girls are still missing and international efforts to spot and rescue them have failed so far.

The Nigerian government has been under intense pressure by many people around the globe especially the girls’ families to secure their release.

Boko Haram — whose name means “Western education is forbidden” — says its goal is to overthrow the Nigerian government.

It has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly gun and bomb attacks in various parts of Nigeria since 2009.